6 Essential Sun Protection Tips
With more than a million cases of skin cancer diagnosed in the United States each year, everyone should practice safe sun strategies and wear sunscreen year-round.
Know the facts about how to protect your skin and you'll be less likely to face wrinkles, brown spots, and skin cancer according to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD).
The bottom line: Sunscreen is a must, year-round, every day.
Here are 6 tips to help you stay sun-safe:
And, if you want to "Go for the faux tan" Smart Cover offers our instant Smart Tan Essentials Kit, where you can get a healthy sun-glow without the harmful rays of the sun.
- Only buy brands that say broad spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. Protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Apply sunscreen 15 to 30 minutes before you go outside, and reapply every two hours and after swimming or "sweaty" activities.
- Love your lips by protecting them a lip balm with an SPF of 15 or higher and limit your time in the sun.
- Wear sun-protective clothing, wide-brimmed hats, and sunglasses as an added layer of defense.
- Check the expiration date. The FDA requires that sunscreens remain effective for at least three years. When in doubt, toss it out.
- Get annual skin check-ups with your dermatologist and let them know if you see any changes in your moles or any new growths. Caught early, most skin cancers are treatable.
Happy Safe Tanning,
Nancy & Flori Roberts